After five fresh cases of dengue were reported on Monday in the city, the total number of dengue cases in Chandigarh has gone up to 680.
So far, six persons have died of swine flu, while 57 persons tested positive. However, no fresh swine flu case came up today.Mani Majra is one of the worst-affected areas. As many as 100 cases have reported from this area.
Dengue cases to shoot up in the coming months, following rains, which leads to increase in humidity levels and waterlogging. Such conditions are apt for mosquito breeding.
“Earlier, the apt temperature was 25 to 35 degree Celsius but over the five years, there has been a change. Now, the mosquito can breed in the temperature ranging from 17 degrees to 40 degree Celsius,” said Dr Gaurav Aggarwal. He said that humidity is a major factor as 50%-70% humidity is needed for effective breeding.
Table of Contents
Here are Some Handy Tips to Prevent Dengue
- Apply mosquito repellant sprays on areas exposed to mosquitoes during the day and night.
- Remember to clean out empty flower pots and not to over water potted plants. It is advised to not have any stagnant water around as it acts as a breeding ground for the mosquitoes.
- Make sure your window and door screens do not have any holes. If so, block those areas properly to eliminate mosquitoes.
- If you use a cooler remember to empty out and clean the water tray regularly, even when not in use.
- Always cover your trash can or dustbin when not in use.
- Using camphor as a repellent also works wonders. Light camphor in a room and close all the doors and windows. Leave it this way for about fifteen to twenty minutes to have a mosquito free environment.
- Some studies even say that planting a tulsi plant near your window can keep mosquitoes away
- If any person in your house is already infected with dengue fever, isolate or protect the infected person from further mosquito bites in order to stop the spread of this viral disease. Cover them with the mosquito nets in the night while they are sleeping.
Hence, it is very important to take appropriate actions to kill the dangerous dengue mosquitoes and see that you cover your exposed body as much as you can at night.
Keep the above precautions in mind and prevent the dengue fever from spreading the viruses.